Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Your Highness 2011 David Gordon Green

Okay, so I really liked The Foot Fist Way.  I really like Eastbound and Down.  I absolutely loved Pineapple Express and Observe and Report.  Maybe that's why this movie was a disappointment.  My expectations must have been too high.  I even grew up in the middle of the '80's sword and sorcery boom they're making fun of.  I get the jokes.  Why isn't it that funny?

Maybe it's Zooey Deschanel.  That's probably it.  I seem to have an allergic reaction to her whenever she's in a movie.  And good god, if she sings in a movie in her honking goose voice like (500) Days of Summer, then my whole world goes red with rage and I want to destroy everything to just MAKE IT STOP!  But then I thought "Well, she's the damsel in distress.  She won't have a lot to do.  She'll be harmless...."  I was wrong!  She sings! Why does she have to ruin everything?  I get it, Zooey Deschanel.  You're an indie-pop singer/actress multi-talented-super-hyphenate.  You have that inde-pop band She & Him (oooh, clever grammar!) with that other indie-pop guy, and so who wouldn't want to hear your indie-popness?

I'll tell you....

NO ONE wants to hear your indie-popness in their swords n' sorcery stoner comedy.  Thank you, James Franco, for being as impressed with Zooey Deschanel's "talent" in this movie as you were with Anne Hathaway's "talent" at the Oscars, and treating her musical interlude with as much respect as it deserved.

She's actually not in the movie much, that Zooey Deschanel, so why doesn't it work when she's not ruining it?  Maybe because sword and sorcery movies were already lame laughfests by themselves.  If you don't beleive me, just go watch Jack Hill's Sorceress.  It's a good try by everyone in this movie, and there are a couple of funny parts - even a few that aren't in the trailer! - but it's just not that good of a movie.  Way to ruin it for everyone, Zooey Deschanel.

No comments:

Post a Comment