Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Black Swan 2010 Darren Aronofsky

I don't know why it took me so long to see this movie.  I really wanted to, I just never got around to it.  Well, now I have.  It's not as shocking as I'd been led to believe, but it is really good.  Nina Sayers (Natalie Portman, Closer) is an emotionally fragile ballerina who gets the lead role in the new production of Swan Lake.  The ballet company's artistic director (Vincent Cassel, Irreversible) isn't quite sure she can handle it, her mother (Barbara Hershey, The Stunt Man) treats her like a 12 year old, and a new girl (Mila Kunis, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) might be trying to take it all away from poor Nina. 

So of course she starts to lose her shit.

It all looks fantastic.  There were times where I thought, "Oh no, it's just gonna be a chick version of Fight Club....." and I was a little discouraged.  But no!  I was happily wrong.  And Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis are really good in it, and not just because they have a drunken night of lesboliciousness - that could happen to anyone - but I was actually wondering just what the hell was going on in terms of what was real or not.  You're never quite sure what's up with Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman actually makes you care about her walking trainwreck of a character.

So I say you should see Black Swan.  I'm probably the only one who hasn't seen it, but whatever.  It's really good, and it's about ballerinas.  So there.  Now why can't every chick flick be this good?

No comments:

Post a Comment