Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pufnstuf 1970 Hollingsworth Morse

When I was a little kid I saw some reruns of the H.R. Pufnstuf TV series and I thought for years that it was just some vivid nightmare.  Fast forward about 15 years, and one night on Nick at Nite there was a Sid and Marty Krofft marathon.  I watched because I always loved Land of the Lost, but imagine my surprise when my old nightmare monster showed up.  Because of all that, I love H.R. Pufnstuf.  I had heard about a feature length movie, but I never figured I'd get a chance to see it.  I even bought the new DVD set of the TV show in hopes that the movie would be an extra.  No dice.  Once again, Netflix Instant answers my movie prayers. and the movie is awesome.

It starts with a retelling of the opening titles of the TV show, except now you see just how Jimmy ends up with his magic flute.  Seems someone was a little late to band practice and was kicked out for his lateness.  What would you do if you were kicked out of your favorite afterschool activity?  Head into the woods, of course.  Since it's a kid's movie, they cut the scene out where Jimmy eats some 'shrooms, but in a few minutes, he's tripping balls and his flute is talking to him.  Oh look, there's a nice talking boat to take us for a ride!  There's a witch and a vulture!  Jump out!  Wash ashore on Living Island!  What is that?  A dragon?  He's the mayor!  With a southern accent!  I'm really thirsty!!!

It seems that the island's resident witch, Witchiepoo, wants Freddy the talking flute, so everyone has to stop her from getting it.  Plus, the yearly witch convention is being held at her castle, so she really, really, REALLY needs that flute to impress her boss (Martha Raye) and show up her rival Witch Hazel (Mama Cass).

Everybody from the show - Dr Blinky, Stupid Bat, Orson and Seymour, even the Hippy Tree, are here.  Some of the voices are changed, like Orson the Vulture, and even Pufnstuf, but it doesn't really matter.  I was too busy enjoying the completely inane songs ("Zap the World", "Living Island", and the Mama Cass showstopper "Different") and speculating on when Jack Wild just completely lost it in his real life.  He's very talented, I guess, but he was 18 years old, a millionaire, and on one of the most drug influenced TV shows of all time.  No wonder he became a mess.  Look at Gary Coleman - and he never had to dance with a dragon and a talking flute!

Whatever.  This movie is awesome.  Show it to all of your kids all the time.  And buy the DVD of the TV show, as well.  You can never have too much Pufnstuf.

No comments:

Post a Comment