Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Batman: Under the Red Hood 2010 Brandon Vietti

Hey, it's a straight to video animated Batman movie!  Why would I bother watching it?

1.  It's short
2.  I like Batman
3.  I used to read loads of comics

So there.  This movie concerns a new criminal called the Red Hood, who's taking over Gotham City's crime syndicates.  He seems to know a lot about Batman and he reminds Batman of the second Robin, Jason Todd. 

But Jason Todd is dead.

He was blown up in a warehouse by the Joker.  How do I know this?  Because it was the storyline in Batman when I was about 12 years old.  There was even a 900 number that you could call and cast your vote as to whether Jason Todd would live or die. 

Did I call it and cast my vote?

I was 12!

OF COURSE I CAST MY VOTE!!!  I CAST MY VOTE TO KILL HIM!!!  IT COST 50 CENTS AND I CAUGHT HELL FROM MY PARENTS FOR DOING IT, BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!!!

....and apparently he's been brought back from the dead.  So...I have to see how and why.  It cost me 50 cents and a grounding, which may not seem like much now, but at the time it was crushing.  And is that really what we want to teach America's youth?  That your vote doesn't count?  I don't think so, Judd from MTV's Real World San Francisco - don't think I didn't recognize your name in the credits - I don't think so at all.

Judd from the Real World has actually written a fairly entertaining little movie, actually.  Jason Todd did die (so my vote did count) and he was brought back to life (because this is a comic book story - a male soap opera) because no one ever really dies in the comics.  Once I got over my memories of being grounded and missing out on seeing Twins in the theater, I was fairly entertained.  Bravo, Judd from the Real World.  Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment