Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Parallax View 1974 Alan J Pakula


I've never understood why people loved Warren Beatty.  He's completely bland.  I did like Bonnie and Clyde quite a bit, but that's the only movie of his that I like.  This movie is on Netflix Instant, and it's a classic 70's paranoia thriller that I'd heard compared favorably to Three Days of the Condor, so I thought,why not?  I don't much like Robert Redford either, but Condor was entertaining at least.  I hoped this would be the same.

Sadly, no.  This is the 70's paranoia thriller for people who didn't quite understand the other 70's paranoia thriller.  It starts promisingly enough with an assassination at the Space Needle in Seattle, but then Warren Beatty shows up and it devolves into shots of him looking confused (or concerned, I can't tell the difference), while various political figures and people he's acquainted with get killed.  There's even a hillbilly sheriff and a good, old fashioned, smash-em-up car chase in case your attention starts to wane.

It's not a horrible movie, really.  It's just completely average - something to have on while you are doing mundane tasks around the house.  Just remember when you see the car chase - Smokey and the Bandit is on Instant Watch as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment